In Nebraska and Iowa, a person who is involved in an accident and is injured in the course and scope of his or her employment may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation benefits may include weekly indemnity payments and/or payment of medical expenses and are determined by state statutes. Locher Pavelka Dostal Braddy & Hammes, LLC represents employers and employees in such claims.
Our attorneys assist defense clients in a wide range of areas, from working with employers to develop policies that prevent work-related accidents; to advising claims professionals about legal aspects of claims handling, benefits calculation, medical case management, and finalizing settlement documents; to defending employers and their insurers against litigated claims. Our attorneys approach workers’ compensation claims from a strategic standpoint by evaluating the claim, developing an action plan, and determining the best plan for resolution, whether that be through litigation, settlement, or alternative dispute resolution. We can assist with:
• Witness and Coworker interviews.
• Collecting and analyzing medical records.
• Determining average weekly wage and benefit entitlement.
• Requesting medical opinions regarding pre-existing conditions, injury causation, prescription medication usage, and treatment plans.
• Recommendations for surveillance professionals, independent medical examiners, functional capacity examiners, and vocational rehabilitation counselors.
• Evaluating indemnity and medical exposure pursuant to the law.
• Evaluating the best method of resolving the claim.
• Drafting and filing Releases and Lump Sum Settlement Applications.
Please see the links below for frequently asked questions about employer and employee rights under Nebraska and Iowa workers’ compensation law.
The attorneys at Locher Pavelka Braddy & Hammes, LLC also represent employees in their claims for injuries suffered on the job. In those situations, we believe our experience and knowledge of workers’ compensation law allows us to fairly and accurately value your claim, advise you of your rights, and work with your employer’s insurer toward a positive result. We can help you by:
• Advising you of your rights under the law.
• Advising you of the workers’ compensation benefits to which you may be entitled.
• Ensuring that you receive medical care made necessary by your accident.
• Assisting you with navigating vocational rehabilitation.
• Evaluating a settlement offer to ensure that you are being treated fairly.
Although not always necessary, we may recommend filing a Petition in the Nebraska Workers’ Compensation Court or a contested-case proceeding with the Iowa Industrial Commissioner. If you have been injured on the job and are seeking an attorney to advise of how to best resolve your workers’ compensation claim, please contact the attorneys at Locher Pavelka Dostal Braddy & Hammes, LLC.
Nebraska Employee FAQ’s http://www.wcc.ne.gov/faqs/faq_employees.aspx
Iowa Employer & Employee FAQ’s http://www.iowaworkforce.org/wc/faq.htm